***Please read through this entire page before submitting a request***
What is a non-genealogical record
In addition to records for births and deaths, a non-genealogical records are:
- Marriages occurring within the last 50 years
- All domestic partnerships and civil unions.
What do I need to send with my application?
For all orders, the following must be sent with your application:
- all required copies of ID for proof of identity
- the correct fees
- copies of documents proving your relationship to the person named on the record, if requesting a certified copy
Your application will be returned if you do not send in all required documentation.
Step 1: Identify the non-genealogical record
You must be able to fully identify the record by providing all of the information listed below on the application form. Your request cannot be accepted unless you provide the information below.
- Full name on the record
- City where the event occurred
- Exact date of the event (month, day and year)
- Name of the spouse/partner.
Step 2: Provide Acceptable Identification
You must provide acceptable ID in order to get a certified copy(s). For mailed requests, copies must be mailed to the address listed on your identification.
The following are acceptable forms of ID:
- A current, valid photo driver's license or photo non-driver's license with current address
- A current, valid driver’s license without photo and one alternate form of ID, both with current address
- Two alternate forms of ID, both of which must have current address.
Alternate forms of ID are:
- Vehicle registration
- Vehicle insurance card
- Voter registration
- US/Foreign Passport
- Immigrant Visa
- Permanent Resident Card (Green card)
- Federal/State ID
- County ID
- School ID
- Bank Statement (within previous 90 days)
- Utility bill(within the previous 90 days)
- W-2 for current/previous tax year
Please do not send in original ID documents. Only copies are required. If you want to have your order mailed to a different address than what is listed on your identification, your application must include a notarized letter that authorizes the order to be mailed to a different address.
Step 3: Payment of Fees
The fee for certified copies at the Borough of Flemington is $25.00 for the first copy, and $5.00 for each additional copy for that order. All payments may be paid by check or money order made payable to: The Borough of Flemington. Please do not send cash through the mail.
Step 4: Proof of Relationship
ONLY required if ordering a certified copy.
Proof of relationship is not required if you are asking for a certification, which is an uncertified informational copy of the vital record not valid for establishing identity or legal purposes. However, you must still provide proof of identity when requesting a certification.
To get a certified copy of a person’s vital record, you must provide proof of your relationship to the person listed on the record and the proof must establish you are one of the following:
- The subject of the record
- The subject’s parent, legal guardian or legal representative
- The subject’s spouse/civil union partner; child, grandchild or sibling, if of legal age
- A state or federal agency for official purposes
- Pursuant to court order
Step 5: Submitting your completed application and supporting documents
Regardless of the where you place your order you will have to bring with you or send with your application:
- all required copies of ID establishing your identity
- the correct fee, and
- copies of documents proving your relationship to the person named on the record, if you are ordering a certified copy
Your application will be returned if you do not submit with all required information.
See the bottom of this page for next steps to submit your request and supporting documentation.
How to prove relationship for non-genealogical records
If you are requesting a certification (an informational copy of a vital record not valid for legal purposes), you do not need to provide proof of relationship.
If you are looking for a certified copy of:
- your parent’s or sibling’s marriage record, you must provide a copy of your birth certificate. if you have assumed your spouse's/civil union partner's last name you must also provide a copy of your marriage/civil union certificate to link the name on your current ID to the name on your birth certificate.
- your grandparent’s marriage record, you must establish that you are the person’s grandchild by providing proof that links the name on your ID to the name of the grandparent. For example, if you changed your last name after marriage/civil union and want a grandparent’s vital record, you must:
- Provide your marriage/civil union certificate to show your name at birth,
- Provide your birth certificate to identify your parent, and
- Provide the parent’s birth certificate to identify the grandparent.
- If you are not a person qualified to get a certified copy of a record, but you are helping a person receive a certified copy of a vital record they are eligible to receive you must show your valid ID and a notarized, written release authorizing you to get the record on that person’s behalf including their proof of relationship to the subject of the record.
If you are an attorney
- who is executor of an estate you must supply proof of appointment as the executor.
- who is the legal representative of the executor of an estate you must supply proof of legal retainer by the executor and proof of the appointment of the individual as the executor.
- who is the legal representative of an individual that is eligible to receive a certified copy of a vital record you must supply proof of legal retainer by the eligible individual and their proof of relationship.
- who needs a certified copy of a vital record and you are not the legal representative of an eligible person you must obtain a court order directing the State Registrar to issue a certified copy of the record. A subpoena is not sufficient to issue a copy of a vital record.
- Download a request for a Certified Copy (REG27A)
- Bring or send the Application, required documents, and payment of $25 for the first copy, and additional $5.00 for each additional copy to:
Flemington Borough Hall
38 Park Avenue
Flemington, NJ, 08822